We human beings are social animals. We earn our livelihood, working for hours for our families. But we need recreations. Most of us love to have some fun with our family and friends in whatever way we can. Some love to travel, some love to sing or dance, some like to paint or click photos. Most of the people today are somehow addicted to some kind of habits. Few are addicted to casinos or gambling, others are to drugs or alcohol.
Alcohol addiction or alcoholism is a disease that can affect someone’s life badly. It can cause changes in the brain and neurochemistry, which can make a person not be able to control their actions. It does not have any single cause. Genetic, psychological, and behavioral factors can lead you to this disease. It can vary from person to person as to how often they are drinking or the quality of the alcohol. The addiction of alcohol can be difficult to recognize at first. As it has a social acceptance and served in any social gathering or parties, or any celebrations. Drinking is a part of life for many people. But it is ok until the consumption of alcohol is limited. Alcoholism treatment options can help a person get better. Alcoholism leads to some symptoms, such as:
- Increased quantity
- Lack of hangover
- Drinking at any time of the day
- Wanting to be at places where alcohol is available
- Avoid contact with family or loved ones
- Hide and store alcohol
- Hiding while drinking
- Increased lethargy
- Effect on professional life
- Given up on activities
An addiction can get worse over time. One should always look for a few symptoms or an early warning sign. If one can identify that he/ she is addicted to alcohol, the first thing they should do is treat themselves with expert care. If treated at early stage alcoholism may avoid major consequences.
Treating alcoholism is a bit of challenging and complex work. But the first step is the addicted person must realize that he/ she should stop drinking, otherwise the treatment wont work. No one can force them to stop drinking, as it can get worst. If a person desires to get better then the treatment process works as a magic. There are many alcoholism treatment options, but one must remember the process isn’t easy and time consuming.
The alcoholism treatment options are:
People who have several alcohol disorders the first thing they should do is detox. The process includes not having a sip of alcohol, which will give your body the time to take out all the alcohol from your system. The time span is a few days to a week. But it can draw some withdrawal system such as :
- Extreme pain on stomach
That’s why it’s better to go for doctors, who can help you in these situations.
Rehab is the place which is ideally made for getting rid of alcohol addiction. There are many programs offered based on how severe your case is. An impatient program can last 30 days to a year. It helps with withdrawal symptoms. Outpatient program offers daily support to the addicted person while they can live in their home.
- Seeing a counselor or therapist
In terms of controlling your drinking habits, you can also go for a counselor or a therapist. They can help you change the behaviour which makes you want to drink. Can deal with your stress issue, they also help you to build a strong support system
- Join a group
There are other alcoholism treatment options which include a group of people. Group therapy can help you during rehab and help you lead a normal life. They can help a person struggling with alcohol addiction and day to day changing of lifestyle for alcoholism. The people of the group are full of alcohol addicted people with a counselor. It also provides a person the support if there is any relapse.
A doctor may prescribe some drugs to get rid of alcohol disorder. Although there is no medicine that can cure alcoholism, it can recover a person’s situation. Also, a healthy diet can help a person to undo the damage, alcohol may have done.
Recovery needs a lot of time. Some people can relapse in recovery and drink again. But it is perfectly normal. Keeping patience is a key solution for recovery. People with drinking disorders are most likely to relapse during the time of stress, or exposed to people who are drinking.
There are many risk factors involved in alcoholism. Those risk factors does not mean that a person will develop a drinking problem but it serves as a prevention measure. Such risk factors are:
- Family history with alcohol addiction- growing up with family members who have a habit of drinking can lead someone drinking. When someone is surrounded by people who frequently drink, they can fall victim of excessive drinking. Drinking early can increase the risk of alcoholism and alcohol abuse.
- Peer pressure- when your friend or partner or colleagues frequently drink, the pressure can lead someone to drinking. Giving into peer pressure can lead to health complications, which arise from excessive alcohol consumption.
- Drinking at an early age- experimenting with alcohol at a young age can make a person addicted. Drinking around the age of 20s and 30s can lead to serious health issues.
- High stress- many people think that drinking alcohol can reduce a lot of stress. Problems in career, professional life, family issues can lead to mental stress. People can get addicted to drinking in this stress period, which can be pretty harmful for the body and the mental health.
Alcohol addiction can result in many diseases, there can be many health complications which can be fatal. Such as:
Apart from health issues, alcoholism can drive many other problems which can put other people at risk like drunk and drive, family collision, behavioural changes, etc. that is why one should always think about alcoholism treatment options when there is time. Because only this can make you better like before.