The gallbladder is a small shaped organ which collects and store biles from the liver. This is very important because bile helps the body to digest the fat. Keeping your gallbladder healthy is good for digestion and it helps to prevent conditions like cancer and gallstones.
Table of Contents
Diet for gallbladder stones
There is nothing specific as a gallbladder diet. It’s simply a set of dietary guidelines that are used to help people keep their gallbladder healthy. The diet can directly affect the health of your gallbladder due to the role gallbladder plays in digesting the food. The job is to collect and store bile and then add bile to food as it enters the small intestine. Gallstones form when the bile that comes into gallbladder is high in cholesterol. Most gallstones are made from hardened cholesterol. If gallstones are not able to remove from the body, then you will require gallstones surgery. Even without the gallbladder, the liver makes enough bile by which normal digestion can be possible.
What are the foods to eat during gallbladder stones?
The gallbladder diet will aim to reduce the stress that diet has on the gallbladder. You will be able to digest foods easily and this will help with the digestion process also.
High plant intake: One of the most important factors of a balanced diet is to provide the body with a variety of foods in order to get as many as nutrients as possible. The best way to do this is by increasing the number of fruits you intake. Eating a wide variety of foods will help to provide the body with a broad range of nutrients to the body and keeps it healthy.
Consume lean protein: Fats can add stress to the gallbladder, so it’s necessary to have lean protein in your diet. This can be found in fish, vegetable protein, white-meat foods which are helpful in relieving the excess stress which is there in the gallbladder.
Fiber: Fiber plays an important role in a healthy digestive system. The fiber in its various forms can help to make a person feel full for a long time. Fiber can also assist the body in toxin removal.
Healthful fats: Omega-3 fats which are polyunsaturated fats helps to keep the gallbladder healthy and will reduce the risk of gallbladder problems. These fats can be found in walnuts, flaxseeds, and oils from fish and flaxseeds.
Calcium: Increasing the level of calcium in your diet can support a healthy gallbladder. Calcium is available in dark green leafy vegetables like broccoli. Calcium is also present in dairy products but they also have high-fat content. Alternative plant milk has a good amount of calcium like almond calcium is higher in healthful fats and lower in saturated fats and can provide plenty of calcium.
Foods to avoid during gallstones
There are also some foods that seem to increase the chance of gallstones. If you are suffering from gallstones, then it’s better to avoid these foods.
- Refined carbohydrates: Carbohydrates make up much of the food that we eat, refined carbohydrates can increase the risk of gallbladder stones. Here the meaning of refined carbohydrates includes flour, sugars, starches, refined grains.
- Excessive fats: The bile which is produced from the gallbladder is important in digesting fats, so if you will eat a diet which is heavy in fat may work it overtime. Processed foods that are high in trans fats, fried foods can overwork the gallbladder. You should go for medium-chain fats which are found in plant foods like coconut did not increase the risk of gallstones.
Diet after the gallbladder surgery
After the gallbladder surgery, the hospital will provide the patient with a liquid diet for 1-2 days and switch them to a normal diet. The liver is able to produce a good amount of bile which is good for digestion but it will take time for the body to adjust. A low-fat diet is recommended after the surgery is done. If you are suffering from mild-symptoms then you can take a low fiber diet at home which can ease the symptoms. You can also include soups in your diet which is light on your bladder.
Other lifestyle tips for gallbladder health
There are several steps that you can take to improve your gallbladder health. These lifestyle measures can include the following:
- Control your weight: Obesity is a big problem as it’s a risk factor for gallbladder problems. It’s good to stay in good shape.
- Avoiding sudden weight loss: Sudden weight loss demands the gallbladder to work overtime which sometimes leads to more gallstones.
- Quit smoking: Tobacco smoke can lead to the dysfunction of the gallbladder which can cause gallbladder cancer.