Trying to find the best low code development platform today can be a whole lot harder than most people expect – and for a surprising reason!
It’s not that there are so few options to pick and choose from, but so many worth a closer look.
That’s why we put together this detailed guide, though.
Table of Contents
What is a Low-Code Development Platform?
A low-code development platform is a type of software platform that allows users to create applications without having to write large amounts of code. These platforms typically provide a visual interface for designing and building applications, as well as a set of pre-built components and functions that can be easily configured and customized.
Low-code development platforms are intended to make it easier for non-technical users or business analysts to create applications, as well as for developers to quickly prototype and build applications. They can be used to create a wide range of applications, including web and mobile apps, business process automation tools, and data analysis and visualization dashboards.
Some examples of low-code development platforms include Salesforce App Cloud, Mendix, OutSystems, and Zoho Creator. These platforms often offer a range of features and tools, such as drag-and-drop user interface design, integration with other software and services, and support for various programming languages and frameworks.
What Are the Benefits of Low-Code Development Platforms?
There are several benefits to using a low-code development platform:
- Increased speed and efficiency: Low-code platforms allow users to create applications quickly and easily, without having to write a lot of code. This can significantly reduce the time and effort required to develop and deploy applications, especially for small projects or when prototyping.
- Greater accessibility: Low-code platforms are often designed to be user-friendly and easy to learn, making them accessible to a wider range of users, including those who may not have a background in programming.
- Reduced costs: By reducing the need for developers to write code from scratch, low-code platforms can help organizations save on development costs. This can be especially beneficial for small businesses or organizations with limited resources.
In addition to these benefits, low-code platforms can also help organizations improve their agility and responsiveness, as they allow for faster development and deployment of applications. This can be especially useful in today’s fast-paced, constantly-changing business environment.
How Do I Pick a Low-Code Development Platform?
There are several factors to consider when choosing a low-code development platform:
- Requirements and goals: Before selecting a low-code platform, it’s important to clearly define your requirements and goals for the platform. This might include the types of applications you want to build, any specific features or integrations you need, and any other constraints or requirements you have.
- Ease of use: Look for a platform that is intuitive and easy to use, especially if you or your team members are not experienced programmers. You may want to consider platforms that offer a visual, drag-and-drop interface or other tools that make it easy to build and customize applications.
- Scalability: Consider whether the platform can scale to meet your current and future needs. This might include the ability to handle large amounts of data, support for a wide range of integrations, and the ability to handle high levels of traffic or usage.
- Cost: Determine your budget and look for a platform that fits within it. Keep in mind that while some platforms may have a lower upfront cost, they may require additional expenses for features or support.
- Support and resources: Look for a platform that offers good documentation and support, as well as a thriving community of users and developers. This can be especially helpful when you’re learning the platform or if you encounter any issues or challenges.
It can also be helpful to do some research and read reviews from other users or experts to get a sense of the strengths and weaknesses of different low-code platforms.
When looking at different low code platforms, use the tips and tricks we highlighted above.
You’ll be guaranteed to find the platform that works best for you, a platform designed to help you develop faster, and a platform that will make your next code project run a whole lot smoother!