Table of Contents
How it all start?
Let me start by sharing my experience of how varicose veins can bring your life to a standstill. A month back, heaviness and pain in the legs after my daily routine of exercise. I thought that it was due to excessive stretching in the gym. I felt the pain as well as the heaviness throughout the day. I didn’t go to the gym for the next couple of days, in the hope that eventually the pain will subside. This helped me get some relief and the heaviness eventually wore off.
After a couple of days, when I stood up at I had cramps in her legs. I popped some painkillers and went to sleep. The next morning I woke up and saw that the veins in my legs looked twisted, swollen and bulged out. Confused as to what to do regarding this, like every other millenial I started searching online about treatment options. In the meanwhile, the veins turn purplish in color. This scared me more. I decided to visit the doctor without wasting any time.
At the doctor’s chamber
The doctor explained to me that the condition which I was suffering from is known as varicose veins. He further explained that these are also known as varicosities, these occur when your veins become enlarged as these get overfilled with blood.
The doctor recommended surgical removal to cure these. But I was anxious about undergoing surgery because I am scared of needles. So when I explained to him the problem, he said there are many medical procedures you can opt but the condition can be treated by making some lifestyle changes also. These modifications prevent varicose veins from getting worse, decrease the pain, and also prevent the chances of other varicose veins from forming. Lifestyle changes include the following-
- Exercise on a regular basis. To keep your muscles toned, your blood flowing and your weight under control it is best that you stay fit.
- Lose weight if you are overweight or obese. When you keep a check on your weight then you put less pressure on veins of the legs and feet.
- Don’t wear tight clothes as this restricts blood flow in the groins or legs.
- Avoid sitting or standing for long hours without any break. If your job requires you to sit for long hours then stretch and exercise your legs at regular intervals to increase blood circulation. If your job demands you to stand for prolonged hours then consider wearing daily support hose.
Satisfied with the doctor’s help, I went home and diligently followed the instructions prescribed by the doctor for a week. But to my utter dismay, there were no effects of these tips on the veins. So, I decided to visit the doctor once more.
Laser Provides Permanent relief!
At the clinic, the doctor recommended surgery once more. He further explained to me that times are changing, especially in terms of medical technology. Instead of treatments that largely involve large cuts or incisions, doctors at present vehemently using laser-based procedures to cure varicose veins, that too permanently! These are absolutely painless because the whole procedure involves absolutely no cuts or incisions hence, there is no major bleeding. The whole procedure of varicose veins laser treatment is done under the influence of anesthesia therefore, you won’t be able to feel any pain or discomfort. In addition to this, the following benefits make laser procedures more favorable than other treatment options-
- People are scared when they hear about surgery. But these procedures ensure that there is minimum pain during surgery. But you should visit the doctor if you feel any pain near the incisions of the wounds.
- You recover within two days after surgery. Resume your daily activities within a week or two after the surgery.
- Laser surgeries are day-care procedures. Doctors discharge you on the same day of the surgery after observing for a couple of hours. But sometimes doctors also recommend their patients to stay back overnight.
- These laser-based surgeries can be performed in all age groups. But according to age and type of body, doctors may suggest otherwise.
I was convinced by his explanation and I decided to undergo the surgery. It’s been a week I’ve had my laser surgery for varicose veins. I am fully recovered now and 100% active! So this was how I decided to treat the condition. Seek medical advice if you feel you are having twisted, blue-veins in your legs.